Monday, September 8, 2008

Monday, Sept. 8

We got through the weekend, but with no therapy scheduled and still all new faces at Pate, it was a little difficult. I had hoped at Pate that the therapy would continue through some of the weekend because I always feel we build up momentum during the week and then lose it with two days off. Unfortunately, the staff feels that weekends are family time - not to say that is bad! - I just want Paul to stay challenged constantly and think he gets bored (even though we try to stay busy). 

It is wonderful that Paul is really more aware of what is going on but I also think he is slowly realizing what has happened and what it means. He is trying more to communicate and using words more often but also gets frustrated when he is trying to tell us something and it is not coming out right. As hard as it is, we all know that it is a good thing because it means he continues to progress and I keep telling him that this is all temporary and his next stop will be home. 

The other day, we went through the "Get Well Paul" sign-in book we have for visitors and I talked about everyone who has shown up and offered support and help. He seemed really surprised and, I could tell by his facial expressions, touched yet also pleased with himself. He has always claimed to hate being in the spotlight but secretly loves it. I am also going to start from Day 1 and read him all the blog messages.

I am excited for things to really get started at Pate, for Paul to get into a routing and to get more comfortable in his surroundings. I ask that anyone planning to visit should do so after 4:00 during the week and anytime on weekends but that you contact me ahead of time to ensure that he is up for visits or not busy eating dinner or working. Please e-mail me at patty.jerde@yahoo.com.

Also, anyone wanting to send mail to Paul, the address is:
Pate Rehabilitation Brinlee Creek
10057 Country Road 472
Anna, Texas 75409

Thank you for your support and for being a part of this journey with us.

Patty

5 comments:

Holly Mason said...

hi, Paul:

I saw that Patty is going to start reading you the Blog entries so I thought I’d send a quick note. Of course, if she starts from the beginning, it may be awhile until you see this! :-) It was good seeing you and spending time with you yesterday. I was especially touched by you saying my name and hearing you laugh. I think about you constantly, but am comforted knowing you are in such good hands and are getting great care. Keep fighting and staying strong. I know you must spend most of your day frustrated, but you are going to get through this and be home soon. Keep that vision in your mind. You are very loved and have lots of people (many who you’ve never even met) praying for you daily.

Love,
Holly

Anonymous said...

Paul,
I want you to know what an incredible woman Patty is (of course you probably already know that). She has been by your side since day 1 and will be there when you walk out of Pate. I am so proud of her and just proud to be her friend. You are the luckiest man Paul - give Patty a big hug and kiss when you read this one day.
Jennifer

AprilB said...

Patty,
Hang in there! You are doing such a great job managing Paul's care and he is lucky to have you by his side cheering him on and loving him. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
April

Anonymous said...

First of all, happy belated anniversary Paul and Patty! 11 years is remarkable!! Paul, it's nice to read about your many daily progresses. You are an inspiration. And so are you, Patty. So many blessings to you both. As always, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there and keep plugging away. All that hard work will pay off.
Hugs to you both, Buzz and the family.
Lori + Mike Walls, Lily and Ivy
Austin, Texas

Anonymous said...

Paul - I am sure that you are enjoying your new surroundings in Anna. I know that they are working you hard. It is all worth it! You are blessed with a wonderful family and great friends. You remain in my prayers. Keep up the great work.
Lucinda